Re: st: parallel processing in Mata

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: parallel processing in Mata
Date   Thu, 25 Nov 2010 14:24:26 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Thu, 25/11/10, Mak, Timothy wrote:
> I've been wanting to ask this question for a while. I don't
> have many large datasets, but I bought Stata/MP instead of
> Stata/SE in the hope that it helps me run simulations
> faster. Does Mata know how to automatically parallelize Mata
> codes, in particular loops, when it compiles? I can't seem
> to find information on this anywhere...

I am no expert, but loops seem to me very hard to parallelize.
The very idea behind a loop is that the second itteration
happens after the first itteration, the third itteration
happens after the second itteration, etc. Many applications
of loops would break if that were not the case. I can see
why this would not be an issue with a simulation, but how
is Stata/Mata supposed to know?

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis