Re: st: Heckman model and endogeneity

From   "Yu(Sophia) Zhang" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Heckman model and endogeneity
Date   Fri, 19 Nov 2010 19:15:54 -0500

Hi Anik,

  I am doing the similar thing. But my endogenous variable is only in the
second stage, not in the selection equation. And I am using multinomial
logit model in the first stage. I think it works in my case. I am waiting
for confirmation from some faculty. Hope this information helps.

  Yu

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 5:46 PM, ASIF REZA ANIK <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I want to do a heckman model. The problem is that I assume one of my
> independent variable has endogeneity problem.
>
> The model is as follows:
>
> y=f(x1, x2, x3)
>
> if my selection criteria is s, the syntax for stata will be :
>
> heckman y x1 x2 x3, (select=s x1 x2 x3)
>
> But if I assume x3 has endogeneity problem, then what should I do. Is
> it okay if I do the followings:
>
> regress x3 x1 x2 x4 x5 ..................(x4 and x5 are instruments)
> predict y*
> and in the final model I replace x3 by y*, and the syntax is:
>
> heckman y x1 x2 y*, (select=s x1 x2 y*)
>
> Is anybody kind enough to tell me whether I am correct or not? I am
> new in the issues of Heckman model and endogeneity. So confused.
> Looking for your expert opinions.
>
> regards
>
> Anik
>

> --
> Asif Reza Anik
> Ph.D. Student
> Department of Project and Regional Planning
> Institute of Farm and Agribusiness Management
> Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, Nutritional Sciences and
> Environmental Management
> Justus-Liebig-Universität Giessen
> Senckenbergstr.3, D-35390,
> Giessen, Germany.