Re: st: effect size in nonlinear regression

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: effect size in nonlinear regression
Date   Tue, 16 Nov 2010 16:14:42 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Tue, 16/11/10, Airey, David C wrote:
> In linear regression or ANOVA, effect size can be eta^2 or
> omega^2, the amount of explained variation in the sample or
> population, respectively. Do these concepts translate to
> nonlinear regression? Does anyone have any favorite
> references discussing statistical power and effect size
> measures for nonlinear regression? I'm guessing these
> concepts don't translate to nonlinear regression, because I
> see some cautions about interpreting R^2 in nonlinear
> regression. I'm trying to understand how one expresses a
> change in a nonlinear regression parameter in terms of some
> kind of standardized effect size.

Standardized effect sizes aren't very common in my discipline,
but the one time I came across them was when I had a look at
meta-analysis. For binary dependent variables the default (in
my course) was to use the odds ratio. It makes sense to me that
one can see it as a standardized effect: standardization often
boils down to some kind of relative effect, and a ratio is a
relative effect.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis