Re: st: Dependent variable in a tobit model

Subject   Re: st: Dependent variable in a tobit model
Date   Tue, 16 Nov 2010 08:08:15 -0500

Estrella Gomez <[email protected]> :

How to trick -tobit- is there in my original email, and there is much
more detail in the text referenced.  Stata's -tobit- will not include
missings, of course, which is why some people would have you replace
the log of zero (missing) with a negative number (< any observed
value).  Note that the answer you get will depend on the number you
choose, and there is in most cases no clear justification for any
particular number.  Others would have you use -heckman- where there is
a probit of y>0 on the same regressors X estimated together with OLS
of ln(y) on X, which strikes me as an even worse idea.

The graph is -twoway kdensity- but see also -kdens- on SSC.

The one case where -tobit- is a fairly good solution is where the log
link is appropriate but there is rounding of the depvar, in which case
there is a justification for replacing the log of zero with a
particular number, namely the log of the largest number that can be
rounded to zero.  I say "fairly" good because -intreg- is the correct
solution for a rounded depvar with a homosk. normal error, so -tobit-
is still not right, but -tobit- provides a very good approximation to
-intreg-.  Neither works for the heterosk. or non-normal case.

drawnorm x e, n(100) clear seed(1)
g y=round(exp(x-5+e),.01)
g lny=ln(y)
g ly=max(lny,ln(.005))