Re: Maps request: EU-27 countries (spmap, shp2dta)

From   Niels Schenk <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: Maps request: EU-27 countries (spmap, shp2dta)
Date   Mon, 15 Nov 2010 09:43:50 +0100

Dear François,

Would you please briefly summarize the method you have found in R, or
provide a link to the information that you used? This would help me and
possibly also other statalist members.
This weekend I have been struggling with the same issue that you had.
After some searching I found out how to select one municipality from a
national shapefile of the Netherlands.
My solution that worked in Stata:
- download and install the freeware program QGIS at
http://www.qgis.org/
- open the original shapefile in QGIS by adding a vector layer
- selecting the areas you need (right click on the map, go to attribute
table and select areas based on the attributes provided)
- go to layer - export selection as vector file

This gives you a shapefile that you can import into stata using
shp2dta.

Best,

Niels