Re: st: RE: Ordinal logistic regression

From   Neil Shephard <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Ordinal logistic regression
Date   Thu, 11 Nov 2010 16:28:45 +0000

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 4:13 PM, Mary E. Mackesy-Amiti <[email protected]> wrote:
> I usually feel the same way about reducing information, but in some cases
> the clinically-relevant categories are of greater interest than the
> continuum.

Its completely arbitrary though.  Besides which BMI isn't a robust
indicator of obesity as it doesn't work for people who are very fit
and have lots of well honed muscles (their BMI often puts them in the
"obese" category when they are anything but).

Plenty of information on why not to categorise continuous variables at
http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/twiki/bin/view/Main/CatContinuous

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 4:20 PM, Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:
> How does obesity differ?

It doesn't, but clinicians seem to struggle with these concepts.

Neil
--
"Our civilization would be pitifully immature without the intellectual
revolution led by Darwin" - Motoo Kimura, The Neutral Theory of

Email - [email protected]
Website - http://kimura-no-ip.org/