st: quantiles

From   Benodet Karia <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: quantiles
Date   Tue, 9 Nov 2010 20:25:00 +0000

Dear Statalisters,

My question sounds basic but I couldn't find a way out.

I  have a date column and beside it I have 1000 columns, each column denotes the grade of a corresponding person at the given date. Let's say the date goes from d1 to d100.

What I want to do is to plot a diagram for the quantiles (preferably deciles) given the specific date intervals, say for d1-d100 or d20-d30.

Thus on the graph, I should have date on the x-axis and the scores on the y axis. And the graph should show the performance in terms of quantiles.

I tried the following however it doesn't seem to work:

local stats ="mean p50 p75 p90"
foreach p of local stats {
graph bar (`p') person1-person1000, over(date)
graph export "quantile_`p'.png", replace
}

When I ran the code, as expected, I got 4 plots for each quantile but they don't show anything. I think the part where I wrote person1-person1000 is false?? Can you recommend how I can change my code?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

b.