st: -ml- and robust etc options with panel data estimators

From   "Stephen P. Jenkins" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: -ml- and robust etc options with panel data estimators
Date   Mon, 8 Nov 2010 10:39:52 -0000

I am thinking about maximization of likelihoods for panel data, and
wish to incorporate options like -robust- and -cluster- and svy.  My
current programs for panel data (in fact for discrete time survival
data), written for version 8, use d0 estimators, and so cannot
incorporate those options. I am wondering about updating these and
similar programs to version 11, and extending them to include the
options mentioned.

My understanding -- perhaps wrong -- was that such options could be
added in pre-11 Stata versions by using method d1 or d2 estimators:
you needed to supply an evaluator function that yielded scores.

For version 11, I am reading the -ml- manual entries, and Gould,
Pitblado, Poi (Maximum Likelihood Estimation with Stata, 4th edition,
2010), especially section 3.3 on Likelihood Evaluator Methods.

It appears that, as in previous versions, estimators for panel data
need to use -ml- methods d0, d1, d2. But this rules out -robust- (only
possible apparently with methods lf, lf0, lf1, lf2, gf0).

I'm confused because (i) the manual entry for -ml- under 'Remarks: svy
options and ml' ([R] p. 1082), shows code for an example of a d2
method evaluator with the svy option (though no output); but (ii)
section 3.3 of the -ml- book states (p.50) that "Robust standard
errors and survey data support are not available with d-family
evaluators"

So, what evaluator methods can I use with panel data in order to get
svy estimates, and/or -robust- and -cluster- in version 11?

Stephen
Professor Stephen P. Jenkins <[email protected]>
Institute for Social and Economic Research
University of Essex, Colchester CO4 3SQ, U.K.
Tel: +44 1206 873374.  Fax: +44 1206 873151.
http://www.iser.essex.ac.uk ;
Survival Analysis using Stata:
http://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/survival-analysis
Downloadable papers and software: http://ideas.repec.org/e/pje7.html