RE: st: Stata 12: wish list

From   Thomas Speidel <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: Stata 12: wish list
Date   Tue, 02 Nov 2010 10:39:02 -0600

Thanks Nick for your input on this topic. I agree it is a very comlex problem with different expectations from different users. Nonetheless, when I look at graphs in Stata, there is hardly anything I don't like, enough possibilities to please anyone, and in my mind there is virtually no limit to the kind of graph one can produce.

One day I would love to see the same thick manual for tables (and I promise I will not complain). I can alreay visualize one example:
[T] table export -- Export current table
                   implied
        suffix     option         output format
        .tex       as(tex)        LaTeX
        .rtf       as(rtf)        RTF (Rich Text Format)
        .xml       as(xml)        Extensible Markup Language
        .pdf       as(pdf)        PDF
        .epf       as(epf)        an Evil Proprietary Format :-)

P.S. Not to discriminate against other leading software, we need an acronym for SPSS too!

--
Thomas Speidel

Quoting Nick Cox <[email protected]> Tue  2 Nov 07:31:58 2010:

I think that is a good summary of a widely held view. I have no axe to grind here as I am not a provider in the main territory that Thomas has in mind, but on behalf of fellow user-programmers I suggest that the descriptor "ad hoc" does not quite fit the situation.

Of the programs implied here, and that I know about, I'd say that they all have a clear vision of what they want to do which has been maintained throughout their development. It can seem ad hoc if you want to do something else, but that is a different matter. As I've already remarked in this thread, user-programmers tend to write programs for themselves, with no guarantee of meeting anyone else's needs.

The overall problem here is describable in two words "better tables" and lots of users want to second that. But some want more unified syntax for tables within Stata, some want more detailed control, some want greater support for export to their own favourite foreign programs, standard or otherwise, and some want two or three of those. All understandable enough, but don't complain if this all turns into a [T] manual several hundred pages long to meet not only your reasonable requests, but most other people's too!

Emphasis here varies depending on where you come from. Some people seem routinely to be producing tens or hundreds of tables in rigid formats full of coefficients, standard errors and P-values and those awful stars. Do people actually read them too?

P.S. On a key question of intellectual priority, I lay claim to "Some Alternative Software", as indeed could anyone else who came up with it earlier or later. But (with thanks to Maarten for the compliment) the joke about there being so many standards to choose from is certainly not mine. Andrew Tanenbaum got there much earlier.

Thomas Speidel

While I understand the intricacies of such a task, for me too this has
been on the wish list for some time.  Judging from the number of
user-written programs, the presentations at user group meetings and
conferences and how Some Alternative Sofwtare (don't remember who came
up with this acronym) fares in this area, I suspect the folks at Stata
are taking notice.  I am not sure how far up this topic is in the
priority list.

One common response I hear is that solutions exists in the form of
user written programs.  There is a large number of great work (Ian
Watson, John Gallup, Michael Lokshin, Ben Jann, Roger Newson to name a
few authors).  But these tend to be ad-hoc solutions:  some only
handle a certain type of data, some will display p-values but no
confidence intervals, etc etc. This in my view has the side effect of
forcing the user to either write his or her program, or produce the
tables from scratch in Excel/OpenOffice/Latex.

Making more estimates available after estimation and more results
stored in locals in general could perhaps be a good starting point.
Eventually, I would love to see more automation in this area from Stata.

Richard Ohrvall

I do not know if requests for features in the coming version of Stata
is of any use, but since it seems as if the Stata people are reading
this list and they seem like nice people, I take my chance.

I would really like a better support for creating tables in the next
version of Stata. By this I mean an output of tables that is easily
imported into Word or any other word processor. I would also like to
see a bit more flexibility in the table commands. To me it is a bit
surprising that you e.g. can't control the number of decimals in the
output of -tab-. This is very annoying when you want to see a
proportion with a specific number of decimals. All other major
statistical programs seem to be ahead of Stata in these aspects. Yes,
I know that there are user-written programs that do these things, but
these seem like basic functions that should be included in the
program. One solution could be an optional output window (like the
graph window), so that those who want to keep the present design and
output could do so.

Thomas Speidel