RE: st: Knowing how a variable was generated

From   "Hoffman, George" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Knowing how a variable was generated
Date   Tue, 2 Nov 2010 08:35:04 -0500

Take a look at 'defv' (define variable) user-written command.

STB-51  dm50.1  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Update to defv
        (help defv if installed)  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  J. R. Gleason
        9/99    p.2; STB Reprints Vol 9, pp.14--15
        updated to Stata 6 and improved

use 'findit defv' to get it over the web.

You can use it in place of generate or replace to recode a note for each variable definition step.

As an example:

. set obs 10
obs was 0, now 10

. defv x = _n