Re: st: Can .wmf file be opened by Stata?

From   Neil Shephard <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Can .wmf file be opened by Stata?
Date   Mon, 1 Nov 2010 10:12:32 +0000

2010/11/1 Grace Jessie <[email protected]>:
> statalists,
> I know the graph generated by Stata can be saved as .wmf file with -graph export-.
> And then Can .wmf file be opened by Stata? How to do it ?

Stata has its own native format for graphs.  There's a subtle hint in
the above command, its _exporting_ to a different format.  I can't
generate WMF as I'm on a *NIX system so have no way of checking this
for you, but even if you can open a WMF in Stata after having exported
it, you won't be able to do any tweaks to it.

Why do you want to open an exported *.wmf file in Stata?  Any
editing/tweaking should be done to the graph within Stata before
exporting it.

> Additionally, why does "translate figure.gph figure.wmf" in http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/win/editgraph.html  not work in my Stata ?

That would depend very much on which version of Stata you are using
which you haven't mentioned (as requested in the FAQ).  The top of
that page indicates that it pertains to Stata 9 though, so if you're
using a different version then I wouldn't expect it to work.

Also note that the article does not indicate that Stata is capable of
opening the exported *.wmf file, it is showing how to export to wmf
and then insert that image into a M$-Word (or other M$-Office style
product).

Neil

--
"Our civilization would be pitifully immature without the intellectual
revolution led by Darwin" - Motoo Kimura, The Neutral Theory of

Email - [email protected]
Website - http://kimura-no-ip.org/