RE: st: "table" showing summary of ~100 ternary variables?

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: "table" showing summary of ~100 ternary variables?
Date   Sun, 31 Oct 2010 19:11:16 +0000

As Phil surmises, there are various user-written commands (but not functions; outside of Mata, users may not write functions; in any case what Michael is asking for can only be done within Stata by a command) which are alternatives for at least some of this problem. See

SJ-5-1  st0082  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Tabulation of multiple responses
        (help _mrsvmat, mrgraph, mrtab if installed)  . . . . . . . .  B. Jann
        Q1/05   SJ 5(1):92--122
        introduces new commands for the computation of one- and
        two-way tables of multiple responses

and -tabm- from the -tab_chi- package on SSC. -tabm- was the subject of a thread earlier this month (October), so see the Statalist archives for some discussion.

Given Phil's fake dataset

tabm y*

shows the frequencies of y1-y5 on the categories defined and -tabulate- options for a two-way table may be added. Ben's alternatives are documented in detail in his paper, so I'll not repeat that here.

Phil Schumm

I expect that there is probably a user-written program to do this, but
it's not too difficult to do from first principles.  We'll start by
generating a dataset similar to what you've described:

     set obs 100
     gen id = _n
     lab def mylab 1 "Correct" 2 "Incorrect" 3 "No response" 4 "Missing"
     set seed 123456789
     forv i = 1/5 {
         gen byte y`i' = cond(runiform()<0.95, ceil(runiform()*3), 4)
         lab val y`i' mylab
     }
     replace y5 = 2 if y5==1

This generates 5 variables y1-y5, each taking values 1, 2, 3 or 4.
You'll notice I've used 4 for the "missing" values here, only because
that'll give you more flexibility for where the corresponding column
appears in the final table (i.e., if we left missing values as ".", we
wouldn't be able to place a summary column after that one).  As you
can see, each variable takes values 1-3 with probability 1/3 each, and
is missing in 5% of cases.  Note that I've also modified y5 so that it
doesn't contain any correct responses, because you want to make sure
your code can handle such cases.

Now, the first trick is to reshape your data into long form:

     reshape long y, i(id) j(Var)

Note that we could have used -stack- here instead, and in fact, that
would have been more convenient if our variables weren't named
systematically as they are here.  Since we want to add a column for
the proportion of correct responses, we'll add a corresponding
observation for each variable whose values we'll fill in later (if you
wanted to add multiple summary columns, you could add additional
observations here):

     set obs `=c(N) + 1'
     replace y = 5 if _n == _N
     lab def mylab 5 "Prop. correct", add

Next, we'll generate our cell counts by using -collapse-, but first
we'll use -fillin- to make sure that all of our cells are represented
(even if their observed counts are zero):

     fillin Var y
     collapse (count) cnt=id, by(Var y)

Note that we are also using -fillin- here to propagate the observation
we added above to hold the proportion of correct responses across all
of the variables.

Now, we'll compute the proportion correct (as a proportion of values
1-3) for each variable:

     egen correct = max((y==1)*cnt), by(Var)
     egen nonmiss = sum(inlist(y,1,2,3)*cnt), by(Var)
	replace cnt = correct / nonmiss if y == 5

And finally, we can use -tabdisp- to create our table:

     . tabdisp Var y if !mi(Var), c(cnt) format(%9.2g)

      Var |  Correct    Incorrect   No response    Missing  Prop.
correct
     -----
+--------------------------------------------------------------
        1 |       34           37            25          4            .
35
        2 |       26           35            33          6            .
28
        3 |       25           32            40          3            .
26
        4 |       32           27            35          6            .
34
        5 |        0           62            34
4              0

where I've used my text editor to narrow some of the columns so that
the table doesn't get wrapped by people's mailers.  Of course, there
are several ways we might embellish this -- this merely illustrates
one possible strategy for achieving the desired result.

Michael Costello