RE: st: RE: Knowing how a variable was generated

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Knowing how a variable was generated
Date   Sun, 31 Oct 2010 17:10:00 +0000

Indeed. But Louis' question, and my answers, presuppose that was not done.

Michael McCulloch

Wouldn't it be sufficient to simple record the work in a do-file that documents the command:
	gen B = (A*C) + D, or
	gen B = A*(C + D)?

On Oct 31, 2010, at 9:46 AM, Nick Cox wrote:

> There are programs that enable users to record definitions of variables as they generate or replace them. See e.g. -labgen- from SSC and especially its references.
>
> More generally, if users employed variable labels or characteristics to record the definition of variables -- then your problem is indeed soluble.
>
> I didn't imagine that's what you had in mind, as if you knew that definitions were stored that way it's hard to see why your question arises.

Louis Boakye-Yiadom

 Nick, thanks for the reply. I was thinking that if it's possible for Stata to store information on the generation of the variable (at least in simple cases), it might be possible to have this feature in Stata.

Nick Cox

>> In general, no. How could there be?
>>
>> However, in simple cases for Y calculated somehow from X,
>> looking at graphs of Y vs  X might give a clue.

Louis Boakye-Yiadom