st: RE: comparing two linear slopes

From   "Kieran McCaul" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: comparing two linear slopes
Date   Sat, 30 Oct 2010 07:56:42 +0800

just out of curiosity, how did you establish that the relationship was
linear for the intervening years?

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Ashwin
Ananthakrishnan
Sent: Saturday, 30 October 2010 4:40 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: comparing two linear slopes

Hi,

I'm examining the rate of change of two proportions over time. I'd be
grateful if someone could help me figure this out:

I'm looking at the proportional increase in two specific disease (as a
proportion of all hospitalizations) over time and need to see if the
rate of increase for one disease is statistically greater than the rate
of increase for disease 2.

I have the sum totals for the numerators (i.e disease 1 or disease 2)
and denominators (total hospitalization 1 and total hospitalizations 2)
for the start and the end year (the relationship is linear for the
intervening years - that's been looked at).

Is there a way to compare these two trends statistically to say that the
4-fold increase for disease 1 is significant greater than the 2-fold
increase for disease 2?

Should i calculate the annual percent change for each disease and then
use the two-sample t test? How i get the Std dev for the annual percent
change?

Thanks,

Ashwin