Re: st: Error message loading data set

From   Neil Shephard <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Error message loading data set
Date   Wed, 27 Oct 2010 10:10:11 +0000

Hi Christian,

Its traditional and normal etiquette to reply to the list as it means
that others can see the reply and respond.  Also the messages will
then be archived in publicly searchable archives for others to search
and utilise as a resource in the future (see the convention mentioned
under section 3.4 of the Statalist FAQ).

In this instance I'd be inclined to go with Maarten's advice, its not
a problem really other than your variable hasn't had the label
imported.

However, I've zero experience with SPSS, but one thing I noticed in
your code/output is...

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 9:01 AM, Christian Lyhne Ibsen <[email protected]> wrote:
> Thanks for responding
>
> I made a simple conversion in SPSS saving the file as a .dta file. I got the following output in SPSS:
>
> GET
>  FILE='C:\Documents and Settings\soccli\Dokumenter\Data\Statistik\ESS08\ESS4DK.sav'.
> DATASET NAME DataSet1 WINDOW=FRONT.
> DATASET ACTIVATE DataSet1.
>
> SAVE TRANSLATE OUTFILE='C:\Documents and Settings\soccli\Dokumenter\Data\Statistik\ESS08\ESS4DK.dta'
>  /TYPE=STATA
>  /VERSION=8
>  /EDITION=INTERCOOLED
>  /MAP
>  /REPLACE.
>
>>Warning # 9083
>>One or more category labels have been truncated to conform to the limitations
>>of the target file type.

a) You've specified the conversion to Stata 8 IC when you initially
indicated that you are using Stata 11.

b) SPSS also appears to b telling you that some labels are too long.

Neil

--
"Our civilization would be pitifully immature without the intellectual
revolution led by Darwin" - Motoo Kimura, The Neutral Theory of

Email - [email protected]
Website - http://kimura-no-ip.org/