Re: st: RE: non-constant Frequency weights

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: non-constant Frequency weights
Date   Tue, 26 Oct 2010 17:32:44 -0400

Sorry for the typo: the weights _should_ be specified as probability weights, as I think the rest of my post made clear.

Steve

On Oct 26, 2010, at 5:01 PM, Stephen O Neill wrote:

Thats great - thank you very much for your help Steve - I really appreciate it.

Stephen

----- Original Message ----
From: Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Tue, October 26, 2010 9:56:34 PM
Subject: Re: st: RE: non-constant Frequency weights

--

Thanks, Stephen.

To answer your question: If the panels is based ona sample of the population in the first year, then use that first year weight. If the panel is a rotating panel, with individuals entering in different years, than for those individuals, use the weight for their first year. The weights in different years are useful for presenting cross-sectional statistics for each of the years, but not for the
panel analysis.

Also, the weights should not be specified as probability weights, not frequency weights. A frequency weight equal to K, say, is intended for use when there are K individuals in the _sample_ with identical values. If you tell a commandthat the weights are frequency weight, then you are saying that the sample size is
equal to the population size.

Regards,

Steve

Steven J. Samuels