st: RE: Filling missing rank information

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Filling missing rank information
Date   Mon, 25 Oct 2010 16:00:06 +0100

I suspect that when you say "datasets" you mean "panels" or some equivalent. In Stata a dataset is whatever you might -save- in a .dta file.

Alternatively, if you are indeed storing these data in multiple datasets, life is going to be much easier if you combine them into one with an identifier variable.

That done, check out -fillin-. See the help and also

SJ-5-1  dm0011  . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Stata tip 17: Filling in the gaps
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  N. J. Cox
        Q1/05   SJ 5(1):135--136                                 (no commands)
        tips for using fillin to fill in gaps in a rectangular
        data structure

Trelle Sven

I have several datasets with two variables: rank (integer) and prop
(numeric variable). All datasets should have 8 observations in the end
and ranks should range from 2 to 9. However, some datasets have less
than 8 observations due to missing information (the number of missing
ranks is different in the different datasets, however). I want to fill
in the missing rank variable with the missing ranks (and replace the
prop variable for these ranks with 0 which obviously isn't a problem).
I started to program a very complicated way but are currently stuck and
can imagine that there is an easy way to do it ... (I can easiliy fill
in ranks if they are missing at the extremes but if ranks are missing in
the middle?).
Does anybody have an idea?

Below is an extract of possible datasets

Thanks for any help in advance.
Sven

ex1
rank	prop