st: nl @ within ado

From   "Keith Dear" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: nl @ within ado
Date   Mon, 25 Oct 2010 23:09:34 +1100

I am trying to build an ado file to fit a certain nonlinear model using
the function evaluator version of nl.
This requires defining a subsidiary program whose name must begin with
'nl'. So I wrote something like this:

======== mymodel.ado
prog mymodel
nl myfit @ y x, param(...) init(...)
end

prog nlmyfit
end
====================

This doesn't work because, being a subprogram of mymodel, the program
nlmyfit is actually named mymodel.nlmyfit, and so nl doesn't find it. If
I move the definition of nlmyfit to the calling do-file then the whole
thing works, but that defeats the purpose of writing an ado file at all.

Is there a way to define a program within an ado file but NOT have it
named as a subprogram?
(I tried putting nlmyfit in a separate file and running it from within
mymodel.ado, but Stata wasn't fooled.)
Or any other solution?
kd

Dr Keith Dear
Senior Fellow
National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health
ANU College of Medicine, Biology and Environment
Building 62, cnr Mills and Eggleston Roads
Australian National University
Canberra ACT 0200 Australia
CRICOS provider #00120C
T: 02 6125 4865
F: 02 6125 0740
M: 0424 450 396
W: nceph.anu.edu.au/Staff_Students/staff_pages/dear.php