st: incomplete -update- (was version10)

From   Ulrich Kohler <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: incomplete -update- (was version10)
Date   Mon, 25 Oct 2010 10:00:22 +0200

<>

Nick Cox <[email protected]>

> This looks to me as a side-effect of an incomplete -update-. That is,
> your executable and other files are not now in sync, and/or you did
> not type -update swap-.

By coincidence a user of my -sq- package just run into that problem,
too. I did a quick look on my exchanges concerning that package and
found that the "out of sync" problem turned up once in a month on
average:

18 Aug 2010 (1 User)
18 Aug 2010 (another user)

Those private email exchanges have in common that all users were new
Stata users who have been working with a network installation of Stata.
Commonly the detection of the "out of sync" involves several steps of
email exchanges between me and them, and the solution involves
explaining the process of Stata updates to the network administrators,
who are often not using Stata themselves.

This is becoming a bit tedious, to say the least.

So here is my wish list for Stata 12: Do something that Stata cannot
become -out of sync- so easily.

Uli