re: st: Using psmatch2 with a loop for each "neighborhood"

From   "Ariel Linden, DrPH" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   re: st: Using psmatch2 with a loop for each "neighborhood"
Date   Thu, 21 Oct 2010 09:39:50 -0400

Ben,

You are asking for an exact match on one of the covariates but using a tool
(propensity score) which is likely but not always, capable of giving you an
exact match on one or more of the covariates. The beauty of propensity
scoring is that it acts as a summary score for many covariates - however it
doesn't guarantee that every match will be exact (as you've experienced
yourself with neighbourhood). On average they will, but not necessarily at
the individual match level.

Since you specifically want exact matches on certain covariates, you are
better off using algorithms that match on covariates and not on the
propensity score.

One excellent program is a user written program called -cem- that performs
coarsened exact matching that allows you to determine the "exactness" in the
matching you use for each covariate and allows you to perform exact matching
on variables as well. So in this case, you would use neighborhood(#0)which
would give you an exact match.

I hope this helps

Ariel