Re: st: Stata and Emacs interactively

From   Neil Shephard <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Stata and Emacs interactively
Date   Wed, 20 Oct 2010 10:54:29 +0000

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 10:33 AM, Renger van Nieuwkoop
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi
> I read a question on using Emacs and Stata interactively in the archives
> in 2008. I have found a solution using the free software autohotkey. I
> can send commands from Emacs to Stata and jump back automatically to
> Emacs again. You can read the details in my blog at
> http://blog.modelworks.ch  (topic Emacs and Stata). I am working on more
> macros that can send complete sections and commands in multiple lines to
> stata.

Your using M$-Windows, and the brilliant ESS, but the statement...

"ESS supports Stata too, but you can''t run your Stata commands in Emacs."

...is wrong for at least some set-ups.

Under GNU/Linux I can invoke the terminal version of Stata from within
Emacs/ESS and send lines of code to the buffer just as you describe
can be done with R, simply by having the path to stata included in the
environment variable $PATH.  To start Stata within an Emacs/ESS
session its then just a case of M-x stata and selecting the starting
directory when prompted to do so.

I don't know if the M$-Windows version of Stata ships with a
terminal/command-line version, but would imagine the set-up is
similar.

Might be worth investigating before investing a lot of time.

Another simple solution might be to install and use Xmouse which makes
the mouse under M$-Windows behave more like mice do under GNU/Linux
X-Windows system where you can use the mouse to highlight, copy and
paste text (including multiple lines) from one window to another (I've
found it essential when I've had no option but to work on M$-Windows
computers as its now second nature to use the mouse in that manner,
see http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/nt/TXMouse/)

Neil

--
"Our civilization would be pitifully immature without the intellectual
revolution led by Darwin" - Motoo Kimura, The Neutral Theory of

Email - [email protected]
Website - http://kimura-no-ip.org/