st: Regarding 3D graphs

From   "Allan Reese (Cefas)" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Regarding 3D graphs
Date   Wed, 20 Oct 2010 10:37:42 +0100

> > Could anyone tell me how to graph pie 3d-solid in Stata, as the
website
> > http://jcharts.sourceforge.net/samples/pie3d.html?

I endorse the previous comments on this being undesirable.  The cited
website appears to me to show an optical illusion in that the
transparent pie flips between being a top or bottom view.  I also think
the example area chart rather bizarre.  3D plots are heavily promoted by
software vendors as having "impact".  It is worth being aware that
graphs should "tell a story".  Just as with the choice of words, you can
choose to emphasize a feature when making the statement.  It's not black
and white between "honest" presentation of figures and "disingenuous"
manipulation.

Allan

PS If the BBC is having a 16% cut to income, will we get only 20 hour
rolling news?

This email and any attachments are intended for the named recipient only.  Its unauthorised use, distribution, disclosure, storage or copying is not permitted.  If you have received it in error, please destroy all copies and notify the sender.  In messages of a non-business nature, the views and opinions expressed are the author's own and do not necessarily reflect those of the organisation from which it is sent.  All emails may be subject to monitoring.