st: New package -punaf- on SSC

From   Roger Newson <[email protected]>
Subject   st: New package -punaf- on SSC
Date   Fri, 15 Oct 2010 15:30:40 +0100

Thanks as always to Kit Baum, a new package -punaf- is now downloadable from SSC. In Stata, use the -ssc- command to do this.

The -punaf- package is described as below on my website, and is planned as a natural Stata Version 11 successor to Tony Brady's Stata Version 6 -aflogit- package to calculate population attributable fractions (PAFs). The current version of -punaf-, however, only calculates PAFs for cohort and cross-sectional studies, which are easy if you use the the Stata 11 -margins- and -nlcom- commands. I am currently planning the next version of -punaf-, which I intend to be able to calculate the PAFs for case-control studies, which can be a bit more complicated, even if you use -margins- and -nlcom-. I would like to thank all at Statacorp for providing these 2 very useful commands.

Best wishes

Roger

--
Roger B Newson BSc MSc DPhil
Lecturer in Medical Statistics

package punaf from http://www.imperial.ac.uk/nhli/r.newson/stata11

TITLE
      punaf: Population attributable fractions for cohort studies

DESCRIPTION/AUTHOR(S)
      punaf calculates confidence intervals for population attributable
      fractions, and also for scenario means and their ratio, known as
      the population unattributable fraction.  punaf can be used after
      an estimation command whose predicted values are interpreted as
      conditional arithmetic means, such as logit, logistic, poisson,
      or glm.  It estimates the logs of two scenario means, the
      baseline scenario ("Scenario 0") and a fantasy scenario
      ("Scenario 1"), in which one or more exposure variables are
      assumed to be set to particular values (typically zero), and any
      other predictor variables in the model are assumed to remain the
      same.  It also estimates the log of the ratio of the Scenario 1
      mean to the Scenario 0 mean.  This ratio is known as the
      population unattributable fraction, and is subtracted from 1 to
      derive the population attributable fraction, defined as the
      proportion of the mean of the outcome variable attributable to
      living in Scenario 0 instead of Scenario 1.

      Author: Roger Newson
      Distribution-Date: 14october2010
      Stata-Version: 11

INSTALLATION FILES                                  (click here to install)
      punaf.ado
      punaf_p.ado
      punaf.sthlp
(click here to return to the previous screen)