st: create local from element of matrix e(b)

From   "Claire Kamp Dush" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: create local from element of matrix e(b)
Date   Thu, 14 Oct 2010 13:07:57 -0400

Dear statalist,
I am sure someone had to have asked this type of question before, but in my googling and searching of the statalist archive, I could not come across a clear answer.

I am trying to create a local that equals an element of matrix e(b) produced by Stata following xtreg, fe. In fact, I am trying to get the first element.

Here is what I did:

quietly xtreg mdepc wavedi mdis_coh, fe
. matrix list e(b)
e(b)[1,3]
       wavedi   mdis_coh      _cons
y1  .24873096  .34650713  .83985765

. local dif = el(e(b), 1,1)
matrix operators that return matrices not allowed in this context
r(509);
. local dif = e(b)[1,1]
invalid syntax
r(198);
. gen dif = el(e(b), 1,1)
matrix operators that return matrices not allowed in this context
r(509);
. gen dif = e(b)[1,1]
matrix operators that return matrices not allowed in this context
r(509);

I would appreciate any advice - I am sure I am making a really obvious mistake.
Many thanks, Claire Kamp Dush

Claire M. Kamp Dush
Assistant Professor
Human Development and Family Science