Bookmark and Share

Notice: On April 23, 2014, Statalist moved from an email list to a forum, based at

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: st: RE: RE: joinby command and memory issues

From   Eric Booth <[email protected]>
To   "<[email protected]>" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: RE: RE: joinby command and memory issues
Date   Tue, 12 Oct 2010 20:47:07 +0000


Thanks for the update -- glad you finally got it to work (even though you had to combine several strategies).
Sounds like you'll be able to avoid this extra work in the future with the new system upgrade.

- Eric
Eric A. Booth
Public Policy Research Institute
Texas A&M University
[email protected]
Office: +979.845.6754

On Oct 12, 2010, at 3:27 PM, Weichle, Thomas wrote:

> Ok, I have an update.  I followed the -reshape- approach you suggested.
> I had no problems with reshaping epo.dta.  Then, I tried the merge with
> hgb.dta (which only contained the necessary 3 vars and was compressed).
> However, even this merge became too much for my system to handle.  And
> just to test, I tried joinby with hgb.dta.  Not surprisingly, this
> failed as well.  So, I came to the point of needing to split hgb.dta.  I
> initially split it into 10 separate datasets.  For each of these, I used
> joinby with epo.dta.  This worked smoothly and I saved the joined
> datasets.  Then, I appended all 10 together.  I believe I am finally at
> the point where I wanted to be.  
> Eric and everyone else, thank you very much for your suggestions.  This
> was quite a learning experience.  By the way, I found out that we will
> be upgrading to 64-bit in the near future!
> Tom Weichle
> Math Statistician
> Center for Management of Complex Chronic Care (CMC3)
> Hines VA Hospital, Bldg 1, C202
> 708-202-8387 ext. 24261
> [email protected] 
> *
> *   For searches and help try:
> *
> *
> *

*   For searches and help try:

© Copyright 1996–2018 StataCorp LLC   |   Terms of use   |   Privacy   |   Contact us   |   Site index