st: RE: question about xtivreg2 - produces different coefficient estimates than xtreg

To   "Simon, Daniel" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: question about xtivreg2 - produces different coefficient estimates than xtreg
Date   Wed, 6 Oct 2010 22:20:41 +0100

Daniel,

I think it's because xtivreg2 and xtreg are dropping different variables
because of collinearity.  You haven't sent me the full output but I can
see already that  _Istate_~_90 is included by xtivreg2 but not by xtreg;
probably xtivreg2 is dropping something different.

This would also explain the identical R2s.  Same regression, just a
different set of variables is dropped to eliminate perfect collinearity.

Try reestimating but dropping the identical variables by hand, so that
you force the two programs to use identical regressors.  You should get
the same coefficient estimatates.

--Mark

(cc'd to Statalist - not sure why Daniel had problems posting to the
list, he is using plain text format - one for Marcello, perhaps...)

registered under charity number SC000278.