st: RE: Re: forvalues, panel data

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: forvalues, panel data
Date   Fri, 1 Oct 2010 11:14:42 +0100

I certainly agree with Kit that a -merge- with a file with coefficients is another way to do it, and one worth knowing about. But I can't see it's less error-prone. Either way, someone has to type the numbers in or read them from somewhere else and there is equal scope for error so far as I can see.

Christopher Baum

Nick Cox

> Your -forvalues- scaffolding is completely redundant, and in fact causes the same changes to be executed 11 times. But your problem does call for a loop over a varlist.
>
> foreach v of var <whatever> {
>        gen d`v' = .
>        replace d`v' = `v' if fyear == 1980
>        replace d`v' = `v' * 0.967059 if fyear == 1981
>        <etc>
> }

Biljana Dlab

> I have panel data (companies, fiscal years) and need to deflate numbers
> to US$ 1980
>
> tsset  gvkey_n  fyear
>
> I used forvalues function and did it like this:
>
> First I created variable just with dots:
>
> gen dI2=.
>
> Then simple forvalues loop
>
> .forvalues fyear = 1980/1990 {
> .replace dI2=I2*1 if fyear==1980
> .replace dI2=I2*0.967059 if fyear==1981
> .replace dI2=I2*0.421106 if fyear==1982
> .replace dI2=I2*0.307175 if fyear==1990
> }
>
> So that works, but since I have 10 variables (from I1 to I10) that need
> to be deflated, repeating the whole procedure is time consuming... so I
> tried by using var i=I1-I10, etc... but always got reply invalid
> syntax...

Rather than having an error-prone replace statement for each year (with all of those if conditions), better to merge the additional characteristics onto each observation, as described in the FAQ
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/characteristics.html

For example, using the Grunfeld panel data, let's say we have a price deflator for each year and want to apply it to each of 10 investment series:

clear all
// fake deflator data in a separate file
set obs 20
g year = 1934 + _n
g defl = exp(_n/100)
save defl, replace

// apply to panel data
webuse grunfeld, clear
// make up some numbered vars
forv i=1/10 {
	g invest`i' = invest + runiform()
}
su invest?
// bring in the deflator
merge n:1 year using defl
// deflate each of the numbered variables in place
forv i=1/10 {
	qui replace invest`i' = invest`i' / defl
}
su defl invest?