Re: st: RE: RE: Binary time series

From   Robert A Yaffee <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: RE: Binary time series
Date   Thu, 30 Sep 2010 00:50:04 -0400

Dear Nick,
    My references to common practices and methods in the fields of intermittent demand analysis and financial econometrics rather than referring only to a particular paper.  They were based more on memory than particular citations.  I was offering leads not citations while packing for a quick departure for a National Science Foundation meeting.  However if you would like evidence of this, you can google  intermittent demand, Croston's method or realized and/or integrated volatility in the fields of irregularly spaced time series or intermittent demand to see for yourself.
    When such things are commonplace among practitioners, it is not necessary to cite them.
       Cheers,
           Robert

Stochastic models underlying
Croston’s method for
intermittent demand forecasting(2005)
by Lydia Shenstone and Rob Hyndman
(using R)
FOUND AT
http://robjhyndman.com/papers/croston.pdf

ISF 2002 –23rdto 26thJune 2002
Forecasting, Ordering and Stock-Holding for Erratic Demand
by
Andrew Eaves
Lancaster University /
Andalus Solutions Limited

The R package called its also has it.  Published: 2009-09-06
Author: 	Portfolio & Risk Advisory Group, Commerzbank Securities
Maintainer: 	Whit Armstrong <armstrong.whit at gmail.com>

As for the use of references to integrated volatility or realized volatility in irregularly spaced time series, this too is common among practitioners of high frequency volatility analysis, about which many papers have been written---too many to cite here.  My reference was to a method not a particular paper there. But you can also google this topic if you need evidence of it.

    Cheers,
          Bob

Robert A. Yaffee, Ph.D.
Research Professor