Re: st: RE: RE: RE: RE: Autocorrelation test for pooled cross section data

From   Scott Merryman <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: RE: RE: RE: Autocorrelation test for pooled cross section data
Date   Wed, 29 Sep 2010 11:28:24 -0500

-xtregar, lbi-  report the Baltagi-Wu locally best invariant (LBI)
test statistic that rho = 0 and a modified
        version of the Bhargava, Franzini, Narendranathan (1982)
Durbin-Watson statistic be calculated and reported.

. webuse grunfeld,clear

. xtregar inve mval, fe lbi
(output omitted)

modified Bhargava et al. Durbin-Watson = .50577251
Baltagi-Wu LBI = .82334942

The BFN Durbin Watson is also easy to calculate:

. qui xtreg inve mval, fe

. predict double e,e

. gen double bfn = sum((e- l.e)^2)/sum(e^2)

. cl bfn in l, noobs

       bfn
  .5057725

The original BFN paper supplies upper and lower bounds for Durbin
Watson statistic.   For a large number of cross sections, if it less
than 2 then it would indicate positive serial correlation.

See:

Bhargava, A., Franzini, and W. Narendranathan. 1982. "Serial
correlation and fixed effects model." Review of
    Economic Studies 49, p. 533 - 549.

Scott