RE: st: question on survival analysis and selection correction

From   "Craig, Benjamin M." <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: question on survival analysis and selection correction
Date   Tue, 28 Sep 2010 08:27:38 -0400

I respectfully disagree. Control function techniques such as Heckman's require the assumption of the correlation function(i.e., control function), not the full distribution. Only the heckman with MLE requires the full distributional assumptions (which is why it often produces smaller p-values). There are loads of IV approaches that do not require distributional assumptions. Nevertheless, the assumptions that they require may be equally erroneous, particularly those involving instrument strength.

Joseph Terza has developed an iv estimator for survival models, so you may wish to contact him directly. He is very helpful. http://www.uncg.edu/bae/people/terza/

Alternatively, counts of days or years can be modeled with an iv count models like iv poisson or neg bin. This would be the easiest answer (but loaded with parametric assumptions). See the work of John Mullahy at Wisconsin.

Cheers,
Ben

Benjamin M. Craig, PhD

Assistant Member, Health Outcomes & Behavior, Moffitt Cancer Center

Associate Professor, Economics, University of South Florida

12902 Magnolia Dr, MRC-CANCONT, Tampa, FL 33612-9416

Phone (813) 745-6710; Fax (813) 745-6525