Re: st: compare effect size between dummys and metrics variables in logistic regression

From   "Michael N. Mitchell" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: compare effect size between dummys and metrics variables in logistic regression
Date   Mon, 27 Sep 2010 00:21:04 -0700

Greetings Joerg

If you were doing an OLS regression, I would say that you could report the partial (or semi-partial) correlation associated with each of the variables. However, as you note, you are using binary logistic regression. While you could technically create z scores for the binary variables to try and put them on the same scale as the z-transformed variables, those results would not make much sense. You could take the z-transformed variables and convert them into 0/1 variables by cutting them into two arbitrary groups, but that would not make much sense. My thoughts are that there is not much you can do to compare the "apples" and "oranges" here in terms of the effect size.

Best regards,

Michael N. Mitchell
Data Management Using Stata      - http://www.stata.com/bookstore/dmus.html
A Visual Guide to Stata Graphics - http://www.stata.com/bookstore/vgsg.html
Stata tidbit of the week         - http://www.MichaelNormanMitchell.com

On 2010-09-26 11.23 AM, Jörg Eulenberger wrote:

Dear Statalisters,
a have an more statistical Question. I want to calculate an binary logistic regression. I
have all metric variables z-transformed (mean = 0, std=1) to compare the effect size
between the independent variable. But I have also dummys in my Regressionmodell. What can
i do to compare the effect size of the dummy's with the effect size of the metric
independent variables? Or is that completely impossible?
Thanks,
Joerg
*
* For searches and help try: