st: RE: Encoding and matching string values

Subject   st: RE: Encoding and matching string values
Date   Fri, 24 Sep 2010 23:53:00 +0200

<>

I am not sure the description here is clear enough: -encode- forces you to -generate()- the new numeric variable, so that both the string and its -encode-d counterpart coexist afterwards. So it is hard to see how a) your dataset is supposed to decrease in size via -encode- b) how the "original string values" are no longer there...

How does Stata (_not STATA_) "...mess up the the numerical values after appending the dataset"?

HTH
Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Florian Seliger
Sent: Freitag, 24. September 2010 20:57
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: Encoding and matching string values

Hi,
we have about 300 individual company files, each file with up to 100,000 patents. To each patent, up to 500 patent_numbers and citations (string values) are assigned.  In the next step, we would like to put all files together and match the values to each other.

First, we  want to decrease the enormous sizes of the datasets by using the encode command on the strings.

However, after encoding each individual file’s variables and using the append command, the numerical values cannot be decoded correctly at all so that the string values become wrong.

The reason is that STATA messes up the the numerical values after appending the dataset.
Therefore, we search for a possibility to use the encode command, but still keep the original string values after appending the datasets in a way that a matching is possible.

Thank you in advance,
Florian