Re: st: Gllamm: Convergence not achieved: try with more quadrature points

From   Kjetil Arne Van Der Wel <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Gllamm: Convergence not achieved: try with more quadrature points
Date   Wed, 22 Sep 2010 09:29:47 +0200

Dear Steve,
Many thanks for this. Sorry for describing the analysis so poorly. I did actually run the command with pweight (I tried both methods), but that did not change the situation. Also, each country within the survey provides a representative sample of its population. Together, the countries constitutes EU-25, and hence, do not represent a greater *population' of countries. Furthermore, the countries are not merely administrative borders, but political entities employing different policies that have profound impact on the lives of their inhabitants. Because of this, I feel it is correct to treat them as 'units' in which individuals (and regions) are nested (i.e. appropriate entities of variation that can be described with variables) rather than 'strata' (which I take to mean as constructed by the researcher, such as social class). Sorry if I completely misunderstood you, Steve and Stas.

To give you a better idea of the problem: I am fitting a multilevel model to look at the effects of country-level variables on individual-level outcomes, as well as interaction effects between the country-level variables and individual characteristics (cross-level interactions). In the medical sociological and epidemiological literature, it is not unusual to publish results from multilevel analysis with as little 15-25 level 2 units (which are often European countries). Most analysts within this tradition use MLwiN. I first tried xtlogit to do my analysis (which works well), but it does not allow pweights or other weights that vary within level 2 units. This is why I wanted to have a go with gllamm, which seemed to be more flexible in regard to the weighting problem.

Running this command:

gllamm depvar indepvar1-4, i(country) pweight(wt) link(logit)

fam(binom) nip(20) adapt

leads to the error message, while omitting the pweight works fine. (By the way; depvar and all indepvars are binary individual level variables, except age. in the next model, continous counry level variables will be added).

If it does not work, I could report unweighted results from xtlogit:

xtlogit depvar age indepvar1-4(i) indepvar5-7(j) interactions terms(i*j), i(country) quad(20)

N(i)=188 000
N(j)=25

Is it possible to change the dataset according to the weights in advance of analysis, which could be a way around the problem?

Best,
Kjetil