Re: st: Binary time series

From   Robert A Yaffee <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Binary time series
Date   Tue, 21 Sep 2010 23:22:26 -0400

John,
      Irregularly spaced time series has been handled by attempts to model intermittend demand.
Croston's method and variations on it have been used to handle such data.  Unfortunately, Stata has no command for Croston's method.   In high frequency financial data,  they attempt to model integrated volatility or realized volatility by taking the absolute or squared value of transactions at various time intervals.  Sometimes the interval is a five or ten minute interval.  Sometimes the interval is the complete workday, during which the value of the transactions might be summed.
The problem with the square is that jumps in volatility may occur that can complicate the assessment of volatility if they are not taken into account.  One thing to consider is how to decide upon the proper interval in which a variance can be computed.
    Croston's method uses a simple exponential smoother to handle the interval between observations.   A different exponential smoother used to account for the magnitude of the observation.
    Finally, to achieve the mean demand rate, Croston divides the magnitude of demand by the interval time, each of which are the dependent variables in the simple exponential smoother.
    There have been modifications of this method by Johnston and Boylan and Boylan and Syntetos somewhat later.
     Siem Jan Koopman with others has set forth a generalized scoring algorithm handling such time series models.  But I haven't seen the software yet.
     These may give you some ideas.
         Cheers,
                Robert

Robert A. Yaffee, Ph.D.