st: Fixed effects = insufficient observations?

From   Tharshini Thangavelu <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Fixed effects = insufficient observations?
Date   Fri, 17 Sep 2010 11:59:17 +0200

Dear stata list members,

I have a problem concerning fixed effects. I have a dataset which consists
of variables that I have merged from different sources. It is a
longitudinal data (= panel data) for 187 countries for year between
1970-2010. It is an unbalanced dataset. The dataset consists of variables
such as doing business from the worldbank, GEM and COMPENDIA.

When I try to do a fixed effects regression, I get a message: insufficient
obervations. I try with different specifications.
As my control variables, I have, all doingbusines variables(only
rankings), GDP per capita, education, unemployment and industry structure.
When I exclude education variable (= gross enrollement rate (%) secondary
from teh WorldBank, the obervations can be more than 100), it seems to be
working.

The education variable is a integer variable and I have other variables
that are integer without any kind of problems. Have someone had the same
problem with this variable?

Regards
Tharshini
--