st: RE: AW: RE: xtivreg2 and interaction terms

Subject   st: RE: AW: RE: xtivreg2 and interaction terms
Date   Thu, 16 Sep 2010 16:53:51 +0100

Michael,

What your matlab routine does is nonstandard and confusing, at least to me.  And I'm not really sure what it's estimating.

The FE estimator is pretty standard.  It gives you exactly the same results as including an intercept dummy for each observational unit.  There are various ways to conceptualize the FE estimator.  Maybe the most helpful in this context is te "error components" interpretation - the FE estimator models the error structure in the estimating equation as having two components, u_i and e_it, each with its own variance.

The reason this may be helpful here is that it makes clear that the FE estimator is about modelling the behaviour of the error term.  The within transformation is a shortcut to obtaining the FE coefficient estimates, but that perhaps confuses things, because it conflates the calculation technique (the within transformation) with the modelling (agents respond to deviations from their means and not to levels).  My reading of your matlab routine is that it is doing the latter, i.e., building responses to deviations into the model.  I am not sure what it is you want your model to do, but I suspect you probably didn't intend this.

There's a useful related discussion in the Stata manual entry for xtreg - check out the discussion of the equation that has one beta for between-changes (cross-section) another beta for within-changes.

Cheers,
Mark