Re: st: RE: Looping through entries in csv file

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Looping through entries in csv file
Date   Mon, 13 Sep 2010 15:21:50 +0100

Martin,

Thank you for the article.

Unfortunately I cannot merge the two datasets, because I do not have a
merging variable in the original (names and addresses) dataset.  The
postcode is not in a separate variable, and can appear in any of the
address lines.  I therefore need to know the postcode before I can search
for and identify the postcode in the address.

Furthermore, I cannot think of a way to look through the postcodes from
the postcode file without reading in the file, and therefore clearing the
original dataset, which is not what I really want to do.

Many thanks,
Gillian

"Martin Weiss" <[email protected]>
Sent by: [email protected]
13/09/2010 15:06
Please respond to

<[email protected]>
cc

Subject
st: RE: Looping through entries in csv file

<>

Generally on looping, you want to see NJC`s
http://www.stata-journal.com/sjpdf.html?articlenum=pr0005

You might be better off -merge-ing the two files, with a judicious choice
of
the options for -merge- "being of the essence"...

HTH
Martin