re: st: Using spmap: where to find polygon coordinate data for Canada (or elsewhere)

From   Brad Humphreys <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   re: st: Using spmap: where to find polygon coordinate data for Canada (or elsewhere)
Date   Mon, 13 Sep 2010 06:45:03 -0600

Phil,

Statistics Canada has a website with a lot of map data:

http://geodepot.statcan.ca/Diss/Maps/Maps_e.cfm

Brad Humphreys
University of Alberta

Hello,

I am interested in using the spmap program to provide visualization of
spatial data in Canada, however I do not know where to obtain the
polygon data.

An online help page from Stata
(http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/graphics/tmap.html for use with an
older version of spmap) refers to using either ESRI shapefiles or the
Mapinfo formats. I have tried to find these online, but to no avail.

Are there any free sources of polygon coordinate data for regions of
the world that anyone on Statalist knows of? Or, is it necessary to
purchase these coordinates from a commercial source?

Many thanks for any answers!

Phil
Philip M G Jones, MD, FRCPC

Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology
Department of Anesthesiology & Perioperative Medicine
University of Western Ontario
London Health Sciences Centre