Re: st: Temporary variables, ado files and subprograms

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Temporary variables, ado files and subprograms
Date   Mon, 13 Sep 2010 10:56:46 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Mon, 13/9/10, Daniele Pacifico wrote:
> I am writing an ado file that - at a certain point - calls
> another ado file with a ML routine. Let's call these two files
> "ado1" and "ado2".
>
> The file "ado1" performs some computations and creates many
> temporary variables.
>
> However, it is not an estimation command, it just creates a
> lot of variables and works with them to produce and display
> relevant results at the end..
>
> The file "ado2" is called within "ado1" and performs a
> basic ML estimation whose results are then needed in "ado1"..
>
> Ado2 should use the temporary variables created within
> "ado1" but - since they are "local" variables - Stata deletes
> all of them when "ado2" is called.. Is there a way to keep
> these temporary variables in memory without necessarily
> using global macros?

Well that is not exactly correct: Stata deletes the temporary
variables created in ado1 when ado1 ends. So if ado2 is called
by ado1, then the temporary variables created by ado1 are still
there. The only difficulty is to recover the names of those
variables. You can use -syntax- for that to add an option or
varlist in the syntax of ado2, which you can use to pass on the
names of the temporary variables in ado1. See the example below:

*---------------- begin example -------------------
// define program ado1
program drop _all

program ado2
	syntax varlist
	foreach var of varlist `varlist' {
		replace `var' = runiform()
	}
end

// add the variables you want to create
// but leave them empty (i.e. missing values)
drop _all
set obs 100
tempvar var1 var2 var3
forvalues i = 1/3 {