st: Using spmap: where to find polygon coordinate data for Canada (or elsewhere)

From   Philip Jones <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Using spmap: where to find polygon coordinate data for Canada (or elsewhere)
Date   Sun, 12 Sep 2010 14:44:53 -0400

Hello,

I am interested in using the spmap program to provide visualization of spatial data in Canada, however I do not know where to obtain the polygon data.

An online help page from Stata (http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/graphics/tmap.html for use with an older version of spmap) refers to using either ESRI shapefiles or the Mapinfo formats. I have tried to find these online, but to no avail.

Are there any free sources of polygon coordinate data for regions of the world that anyone on Statalist knows of? Or, is it necessary to purchase these coordinates from a commercial source?

Many thanks for any answers!

Phil
Philip M G Jones, MD, FRCPC

Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology
Department of Anesthesiology & Perioperative Medicine
University of Western Ontario
London Health Sciences Centre