RE: st: RE: condivreg/Multicollinearity

From   "Vassilopoulos Achilleas" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: condivreg/Multicollinearity
Date   Fri, 10 Sep 2010 10:40:37 +0300

Then I guess that your collinearity doesn't arise only from the first step
but also from the next steps of the -ivregress-.
-ivregress- uses three tests for collinearity, one after the other, before
the estimation. What you can do is to replicate these tests by hand and save
the non-collinear variables of every step so you can use them later. See
below :

_rmdcoll ENDOGENOUS INCLUDED-EXOGENOUS, forcedrop  (you may want to add
noconstant also)    //checks for
collinearity between endogenous vars and included exogenous//

global first `r(varlist)'    //This global contains the set of non-collinear
INCLUDED-EXOGENOUS vars//

_rmcoll dummy1-dummy500     //checks for collinearity among instruments//

global inst_first `r(varlist)'    //this global contains the dummies that
are not collinear between themselves//

_rmcoll2list, alist($first) blist($inst_first)   //checks for collinearity
among the endogenous and all exogenous vars and further drops instruments
until a linearly independent set is obtained //

global inst `r(blist)'  //this global contains the final set of
non-collinear instruments//

I guess all you need from this point on are the globals $inst and $first

Hope this helps,

Achilleas Vassilopoulos

Agricultural University of Athens,
Dept. of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development,
Lab. of Political Economy and European Integration.
Iera Odos 75, 11855, Athens, Greece

Tel: (+30) 210-5294726
Fax: (+30) 210-5294786
email : [email protected]