Re: st: estout: flipping and matching models

From   Dominik Becker <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: estout: flipping and matching models
Date   Thu, 9 Sep 2010 12:30:01 +0200

One week ago a posted a message wherein I asked how I could achieve
that for a set of regressions with changing treatments, but a similar
structure for each treatment (i.e. with and without covariates,
respectively), the coefficients of the treatments are both flipped and
in the same lines after flipping.

In personal communication with Ben Jann, the author of -estout- and
related routines, we found that the example code that I attached to my
original post was erroneous. So first of all sorry to all listers who
might have tried to help me but could not run my example!

Ben suggested that the easiest way to solve my problem would be to
stack the models first by using his -append- routine (also available
at http://repec.org/bocode/e/estout/advanced.html#advanced901) and
then to flip the models by collecting the r(coefs) of estout and
transposing them (see
http://repec.org/bocode/e/estout/advanced.html#advanced907).

This works fine except for multiple-equation models since the -append-
command explicitly only makes use of the first equation of a model -
even if there are more. So I asked Ben if there is a possibility to
extract single equations of multiple-equation models like -seqlogit-
(a user-written program by Maarten Buis) either in -append- or before
in -estimates store-. Ben replied that both issues are on his list for
later revisions of his routines, but he can already offer a quick hack
to extract the equations in
-estimates store-.

Since this approach might be of interest for some more users, I below
attach a (well-tried) example code with Ben's solutions how to extract
single equations from a set of similar -seqlogit- commands with
changing treatments, how to stack the models, and to flip them. Many
thanks again to Ben Jann for his personal support and his very
practical solutions!

Dominik

----------------------------------BEGIN OF CODE

ssc install seqlogit // if not already installed

*** RECODE COMMANDS FROM SEQLOGIT HELPFILE ***

sysuse nlsw88, clear
    gen ed = cond(grade< 12, 1, ///
             cond(grade==12, 2, ///
             cond(grade<16,3,4))) if grade < .
    gen byr = (1988-age-1950)/10
    gen white = race == 1 if race < .

*** PROGRAM TO EXTRACT EQUATIONS ***

ssc install erepost  // is used in -eqextract-

capt prog drop eqextract
prog eqextract
    version 8.2
    syntax [, k(int 1) ]
    tempname b V
    mat `b' = e(b)
    mat `V' = e(V)
    local eqs: coleq `b', quoted
    local eqs: list uniq eqs
    local eq: word `k' of `eqs'
    mat `b' = `b'[1..., "`eq':"]
    mat `V' = `V'["`eq':", "`eq':"]
    erepost b = `b' V = `V'
end

***** SEQUENTIAL LOGIT MODELS *****

*** TREATMENT 1 ***

* WITHOUT CONTROL *

seqlogit ed byr,                   ///
             ofinterest(white)    ///
             tree(1 : 2 3 4, 2 : 3 4, 3 : 4) ///
             or

estimates store t1a
eqextract
estimates store t1a1
estimates restore t1a
eqextract, k(2)
estimates store t1a2
estimates restore t1a
eqextract, k(3)
estimates store t1a3

* WITH CONTROL *

seqlogit ed byr south,                   ///
             ofinterest(white)    ///
             tree(1 : 2 3 4, 2 : 3 4, 3 : 4) ///
             or

estimates store t1b
eqextract
estimates store t1b1
estimates restore t1b
eqextract, k(2)
estimates store t1b2
estimates restore t1b
eqextract, k(3)
estimates store t1b3

*** TREATMENT 2 ***

* WITHOUT CONTROL *

seqlogit ed byr,                   ///
             ofinterest(union)    ///
             tree(1 : 2 3 4, 2 : 3 4, 3 : 4) ///
             or

estimates store t2a
eqextract
estimates store t2a1
estimates restore t2a
eqextract, k(2)
estimates store t2a2
estimates restore t2a
eqextract, k(3)
estimates store t2a3

* WITH CONTROL *

seqlogit ed byr south,                   ///
             ofinterest(union)    ///
             tree(1 : 2 3 4, 2 : 3 4, 3 : 4) ///
             or

estimates store t2b
eqextract
estimates store t2b1
estimates restore t2b
eqextract, k(2)
estimates store t2b2
estimates restore t2b
eqextract, k(3)
estimates store t2b3

******* PROGRAM TO APPEND MODELS *****

capt prog drop appendmodels
*! version 1.0.0  14aug2007  Ben Jann
program appendmodels, eclass
    // using first equation of model
    version 8
    syntax namelist
    tempname b V tmp
    foreach name of local namelist {
        qui est restore `name'
        mat `tmp' = e(b)
        local eq1: coleq `tmp'
        gettoken eq1 : eq1
        mat `tmp' = `tmp'[1,"`eq1':"]
        local cons = colnumb(`tmp',"_cons")
        if `cons'<. & `cons'>1 {
            mat `tmp' = `tmp'[1,1..`cons'-1]
        }
        mat `b' = nullmat(`b') , `tmp'
        mat `tmp' = e(V)
        mat `tmp' = `tmp'["`eq1':","`eq1':"]
        if `cons'<. & `cons'>1 {
            mat `tmp' = `tmp'[1..`cons'-1,1..`cons'-1]
        }
        capt confirm matrix `V'
        if _rc {
            mat `V' = `tmp'
        }
        else {
            mat `V' = ///
            ( `V' , J(rowsof(`V'),colsof(`tmp'),0) ) \ ///
            ( J(rowsof(`tmp'),colsof(`V'),0) , `tmp' )
        }
    }
    local names: colfullnames `b'
    mat coln `V' = `names'
    mat rown `V' = `names'
    eret post `b' `V'
    eret local cmd "whatever"
end

***** APPENDING SIMILAR MODELS FOR EACH EQUATION *****

*** EQ 1 ***

* NO CONTROL *

eststo eq1_nc: appendmodels t1a1  t2a1

* WITH CONTROL *

eststo eq1_wc: appendmodels t1b1 t2b1

*** EQ 2 ***

* NO CONTROL *

eststo eq2_nc: appendmodels t1a2  t2a2

* WITH CONTROL *

eststo eq2_wc: appendmodels t1b2 t2b2

*** EQ 3 ***

* NO CONTROL *

eststo eq3_nc: appendmodels t1a3  t2a3

* WITH CONTROL *

eststo eq3_wc: appendmodels t1b3 t2b3

***** ESTOUT WITH FLIPPING *****

*** SEPARATE TABLES ***

* EQ 1 *

estout eq1_nc eq1_wc, keep(white union)
mat list r(coefs)
estout r(coefs, transpose)

* EQ 2 *

estout eq2_nc eq2_wc, keep(white union)
mat list r(coefs)
estout r(coefs, transpose)

* EQ 3 *

estout eq3_nc eq3_wc, keep(white union)
mat list r(coefs)
estout r(coefs, transpose)

*** SINGLE TABLE ***

estout eq1_nc eq1_wc eq2_nc eq2_wc eq3_nc eq3_wc, keep(white union)
mat list r(coefs)
estout r(coefs, transpose)