Re: st: Upcoming NetCourses

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Upcoming NetCourses
Date   Wed, 8 Sep 2010 07:45:20 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Wed, 8/9/10, Mark Nichols wrote:
> I have examined the material and in my opinion not really
> worth your time or money.

That has not been my experience. I took the introduction to
Stata programming a couple of years ago. I found that there
were two main advantages of these courses: 1) it shaped the
way I set up an analysis, organize my .do-files, avoid
certain practices that would make it hard to reproduce my
analysis, etc. 2) Lots and lots and lots of neat little
tricks that make my (Stata) live so much easier.

> If you can't or don't like to figure out things on your
> own, then the netcourses might be just the thing for you.

The problem with figuring things out on your own is that that
way you can easily get stuck with some bad habits. Learning
from other people who have been where you are now is so much
more productive. If you want to learn on your own, you can
now also aquire good habits and tricks from this book:

J. Scott Long (2009) "The Workflow of Data Analysis Using
Stata". College Station, TX: Stata Press.
<http://stata-press.com/books/wdaus.html>

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis