Re: st: Estimating the (possibly negative) intracluster correlation

From   Robert A Yaffee <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Estimating the (possibly negative) intracluster correlation
Date   Mon, 06 Sep 2010 22:09:02 -0400

analysis.  As such, it has a range of (0,1).  If one computes
this as an analog of an R^2, then a negative ICC makes little
sense.
   If, however, you compute the ICC numerator as the between
groups variance -  the within groups variance, then
a negative ICC can emerge when the within groups variance
exceeds the between groups variance.
   Also, if the ICC is computed with an interaction term, the inter-
action may induce such a negative effect, if it is has a negative
coefficient.
    Regards,
             Bob

Robert A. Yaffee, Ph.D.