st: RE: RE: Spaghetti plot citation

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: Spaghetti plot citation
Date   Thu, 2 Sep 2010 20:23:35 +0100

I did use the term "spaghetti plot" in passing in the paper cited just below. Like many others I have used the term informally, sometimes affectionately and sometimes more abusively.

SJ-9-4  gr0041  . . . . . . Speaking Stata: Paired, parallel, or profile plots
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  N. J. Cox
        Q4/09   SJ 9(4):621--639                                 (no commands)
        explores paired, parallel, and profile plot making for
        changes, correlations, and other comparisons between
        variables

My main objections to the term are twofold:

1. It is ambiguous, because in writing it may not be completely clear what the author is implying: is the implication positive, neutral or negative? (Tone of voice, or other comments, usually make this clear within talks.)

2. I don't object to the informality personally, but because many people would, it can not be a suitable term for general use.

The paper just mentioned mentions several terms in use, none of which is really good. It also includes various historical remarks. Various treatments imply that, whatever the name, it is a recent invention, which is easily refuted.

I also agree that it doesn't really matter an enormous amount what you call it....

Nick Cox

A search on www.jstor.org gives as an opening bid

Catherine Badgley, Lisa Tauxe. 1990.
Paleomagnetic Stratigraphy and Time in Sediments: Studies in Alluvial Siwalik Rocks of Pakistan.
The Journal of Geology 98: 457-477

Dupont, William

I am looking for  a citation for the spaghetti plot?  Neither Diggle et al. (2002) nor Crowder and Hand (1990) refer to these plots by this name although they do discuss them.  Does anyone know who first applied this name to these plots?  Can you recommend a text book or peer reviewed publication on statistical graphics that calls them by this name?