RE: st: choosing between two non nested models

From   "Craig, Benjamin M." <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: choosing between two non nested models
Date   Wed, 1 Sep 2010 08:44:15 -0400

This is an impossible question, because of its dependence on your
personal perspective.

If you were a Bayesian, Bayes factors should decide model selection;
however, BIC is proportional to the factors in large samples, and is
much easier to estimate.

If you are frequentist, it is messier. AIC is entirely arbitrary in its
trade-off between bias and variance, but it is justifiable if you agree
with its normative assumptions. Alternatively, if you just care about
prediction, you could apply out-of-sample predictions techniques (see
Copas test).

As a last resort, frequentists may try re-sampling techniques, where
errors from one model are incorporated with predictions from another to
construct psuedo data to see if the model results are numerically
nested, even if their formulae are not (e.g., logit vs. probit). These
more complicated techniques require greater sophistication for the
analyst and audience than may be required.

As an econometrician, I recommend that you state your model first, then
estimate. Any other model is an exploratory analysis, and rejecting a
model using data may take a sample size beyond that available. Theory
should drive your model selection, not data. This is no right or wrong
answer, just evidence.

Cheers,
Ben

Benjamin M. Craig, PhD

Assistant Member, Health Outcomes & Behavior, Moffitt Cancer Center

Associate Professor, Economics, University of South Florida

12902 Magnolia Dr, MRC-CANCONT, Tampa, FL 33612-9416

Phone (813) 745-6710; Fax (813) 745-6525