Re: st: RE: merging observations in one dataset

From   Eric Booth <[email protected]>
To   "<[email protected]>" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: RE: merging observations in one dataset
Date   Tue, 31 Aug 2010 19:51:25 +0000

<>

See  http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/statalist.html#toask about attachments being prohibited.

In your ods example2, you are adding together the assets and capital for by quarter and company (that is, you add together bank1 and bank3 in quarter1 because they are both owned by companyX), but you apply the summed assets and capital to Bank1 even though this is not just Bank1's assets/capital.  I suspect that Bank is meaningless at this point, so you can drop it after you sum by quarter & company, so:

**********!
clear
inp Bank	Quarter  	Assets	Capital_Holding str2(company)
1	1	324532	8768	x
1	2	433243	787686	x
1	3	34234	7686	x
2	1	643363	67867	y
2	2	465346	68678	y
2	3	54363	76868	y
3	1	4636436	7678768	x
3	2	463346	7686876	x
3	3	5325345	788768	x
end
foreach v in Assets Capital_Holding {
bys company Quarter: egen `v'2 = total(`v')
drop `v'
rename `v'2 `v'
}
drop Bank