Re: st: Stata closes while running a command using mi estimate

From   [email protected] (Yulia Marchenko, StataCorp LP)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Stata closes while running a command using mi estimate
Date   Mon, 30 Aug 2010 12:48:26 -0500

Martina <[email protected]> experiences a Stata shut down
when using -mi estimate, cmdok- with the user-written command -xtabond2-:

> I am using an imputed dataset and I am using the mi estimate command with
> different estimation commands (reg, xtreg, xtabond2). reg and xtreg work
> fine but xtabond2 starts running and then suddenly Stata closes completely.
> I know that xtabond2 is not supported by mi estimate, therefore I chose the
> cmdok option. Does anybody know why Stata might shut down when I am using
> the xtabond2 command? And how I can solve this problem?

David Roodman, the author of -xtabond2-, contacted us some time ago describing
a similar problem.  The problem that David experienced was caused by
-xtabond2- posting Mata matrices of zero column length to Stata when
-xtabond2-'s option -ivstyle()- was used.  Stata does not support matrices of
zero length (except in Mata) and thus did not handle reading such a matrix
properly which caused a crash.  We made some internal changes to address this
issue.

If Martina is running into the same problem as reported by David, she can
resolve this by obtaining the latest update.  Martina should type

 . update all

in Stata and follow the instructions.  If the problem persists, I'd be happy
to look into Martina's problem further in private and will report back to the
list with my findings.

-- Yulia