st: calculating income deprivation in stata

From   Dimitrije Tišma <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: calculating income deprivation in stata
Date   Sat, 28 Aug 2010 13:31:58 +0200

Hello,

I am trying to construct a variable indicating individual's relative
standing in the society as measured by income and other parameters.
When speaking of income, one of possibilities is to consider income
percentiles and to use commands such as -pctile- and -xtile-. But, I
would also give it a try with income deprivation and this is where the
things get more complicated.

Namely, I want to construct a variable called income deprivation
score. Each individual A in the dataset would be assigned a score that
is the sum of all income differentials between individual A and all
other individuals who have a higher income than individual A. Do you
know of any Stata code that can help? I have only been able to find
-mdepriv- but it can only work with dichotomous deprivation indices,
which is not very useful when working with income. Or, alternatively,
what would be syntax if user-written code as such does not exist? Many
thanks in advance!

Dimitrije