Re: st: RE: I wish I'd known that -

Subject   Re: st: RE: I wish I'd known that -
Date   Thu, 26 Aug 2010 17:16:14 -0400

David Elliott <[email protected]>:
Thanks for pointing out
[ http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?contents_should_know ]
--I hadn't seen it before.

But I honestly can't believe that -do-, -findit-, -local-, -by-,
-levelsof-, -foreach-, -svy-, -mi-, -graph- and -twoway- are not on
that list.  It also should link to
http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?comments
and
http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?functions
and
http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?estcom
and
http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?subscripting
and
http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?tsvarlist
at minimum.  I.e. since it has some data manipulation commands on
there, it should also tell you how to put them in a do file with some
comments.

My own intranet Stata page says, among other things:

The User's Guide is a good place to start, and is now available in PDF
format, linked from the help files; for example, if you type help
estcom in Stata, one of the top lines in the help file is a link to
[U] 20 Estimation and postestimation commands (an article in the
User's Guide). Also required reading for all Stata users:

* Article on by [ http://www.stata-journal.com/sjpdf.html?articlenum=pr0004 ]
* Article on foreach [
http://www.stata-journal.com/sjpdf.html?articlenum=pr0005 ]

If you want to see what's going on inside a foreach loop, you can set
trace on and set tracedepth 1.

If you're looking for a graphics command, a good place to start is the
catalog of graphs on the Stata website [
http://stata.com/support/faqs/graphics/gph/statagraphs.html ], with
commands needed to reproduce each graph shown directly below the graph
output.

[etc.]